• At Abacus Nursery and Pre School in Ilkley we offer rich learning opportunities through play and playful teaching. We use the outdoors to stimulate every child’s imagination, relevant to all children’s cultures and communities.
• Imagination, creativity and science are at the heart of children’s natural play.
• Our children feel risk competent. This enables them to have a go, try again and know that ....‘I can do it’
A unique child
• Our practitioners understand and observe each child’s development and learning. We support babies and children to develop a positive sense of their own identity and culture, whilst nurturing their independence.
• We offer personalised strategies in partnership with parents.
• We see children as scientists, engineers, architects, artists, innovators, creators and collaborators.
• We provide a warm and loving environment to support each child’s own efforts, where children learn to be strong and independent.
We are sensitive and responsive to all our children’s needs, feelings and interests and we are consistent in our boundaries.
Learning and development
• Children develop and learn in different ways. We offer each child the opportunity to learn in the best way for them, making each day new and exciting. Practitioners guide and teach using the prime and specific areas of learning and development.
• Children need the natural world. It provides the most generous and powerful learning environment, for excellent child-led learning and development.